Total Pageviews

Friday, January 28, 2011

Hardware

Back in 1990, NC-17 was adopted as a way of replacing the stigma of a triple X rating. The first films to be labeled were Henry & June and Hardware. Back when I first saw Hardware, I thought it was, if anything, unique. However, I was also a teenager, and failed to examine (or, unfortunately, remember) some of the more gruesome elements. Set in a radioactive apocalyptic future, there really isn't much of a story in the film. A guy buys a robot head for his girlfriend, which in turn becomes a killing machine and kills all her friends, neighbors and loved ones. However, though I had first thought it earned its rating through a graphic sex scene or extra-violent death,  it was more likely the robot's killer metal penis, which it tries to use on said girlfriend...or the gross sexual rape fantasies of her neighbor...or maybe because it's just utterly pointless and crude, as well as offensive. Usually I tell readers to see something that is bad. Today I tell you, avoid this confusing, pointless, and demeaning and downright grotesque abomination.

1 comment: