Total Pageviews

Monday, January 17, 2011

More Italian Horror Than Their Parliament Can Provide!

I'm on an Italian Horror kick. It had been a long time since I had seen Suspiria, long considered on of Dario Argento's masterpieces. I watched it again today, as my leg is tattered from a nasty fall on the ice, and I really have nothing else to do. In Suspiria, a dancer comes to a ballet school where a coven of witches reside. Sounds simple, right? It's not. Suspiria is by no means perfect. Sometimes Argento falls so in love with scene music that it becomes overwhelming, and the acting can be pretty awful. Argento tells the story without adding 20 baffling scenes of violence or gore.That isn't to say that lots of scenes of gore are bad( See Drag Me To Hell). Argento's films follow a linear and consistent pace, building the mood.  There are plenty of legitimately suspenseful scenes with violence, gore, and "honest fright". By honest fright, I mean that a scene can be scary without shocking you. For instance, in the two versions of The Ring, the director(same for both films) adds a more gory, horrific dead teen, and more startling imagery in the VHS scene, to shock the American audience(hopefully by now you've seen it). The original Japanese version uses mood and plot to add the suspense, and injects mysticism into the mix, which terrifies Japanese audiences! I recommend both of these versions, as well as Suspiria. Now, to ice down my ankle...

No comments:

Post a Comment