Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 2, 2010

So, maybe you didn't know this...neither did I...

Ok, so those who know me know I have a pretty extensive memory for film trivia/knowledge(and modesty too...ok, maybe not). I've followed the career of Michael Mann, the director best known for Miami Vice, Ali, The Insider, Collateral, yadda yadda yadda, since I was a teenager. Manhunter was my favorite creepy thriller (also the first appearance of Hannibal Lechter, played by Bryan Cox), also directed by said Mann.
So I know, you're saying, Joe! What does this hafta do with horror? Michael Mann never did a horror movie...
AH HAH!!!
I didn't think so either! Then I found The Keep, one of his first films from 1983. It stars a young, dashing Gabriel Byrne as an evil Nazi, a never-fetching Jurgen Prochnow (Das Boot!)...wow, he really IS an ugly man!...playing a morally conflicted Nazi, 80's fave Scott Glenn from The Right Stuff (not the far inferior Cohen film about killer yogurt, The Stuff)... and wait for it...IAN FUCKING MCKELLEN! Acadamy Fucking Award nominated Ian McKellen!
And here's the kicker: it's a good film!!! Nazis die! Evil fails! Scott Glenn gets beat up! With the 80's Krautrock (not a word I made up) band, Tangerine Dream, performing the score, this synth-rockin' film has everything a decent 80's horror film contains. See it. It's out there somewhere...maybe on Net-something-something... hint...hint...

6 comments:

  1. Nary a mention of Mr Mann's greatest work?! The 1995 epic crime drama starring Pacino, DeNiro and Kilmer?!..."HEAT"! Don't you dare put this classic film in the "yadda yadda yadda" category of your ramblings. C'mon! I'm never reading this stupid blog again. You Sir, are a jerk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You, know you're right! I totally forgot about Heat...because I slept through it. In fact, thinking about it again makes me sleepy. I'm gonna go take a nap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The movie is based on a F. Paul Wilson book of the same name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uhhhh, Last of the goddamn Mohicans anyone?!? Who ever gave 2 shits about The Insider? I'm happy this blog is going to provide a blistering outlet for abuse and other assorted malicious interaction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, ladies and gentlemen, we have found the one fan I know of Last of the Mohicans. Who is a man. I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have The Keep on VHS. Best soundtrack. Best Scott Glen performance ever. Doesn't make much sense narrative-wise. Boobs rule!

    ReplyDelete